Thursday, June 26, 2014

All Natural DIY All Purpose Cleaner

As you all know, I recently made an all natural floor cleaner that I absolutely love!  I had originally planned on using the floor cleaner as a multi-purpose cleaner because it worked so well. However, after using it for about two weeks I came to the conclusion that the alcohol smell was just too strong to be using in small places like bathrooms and tubs.  I really liked the formula and wanted something similar so I set out to find a good recipe that was just as effective.  I decided that the best place to start was to take the original recipe and modify it and go from there.  Luckily for me it didn't take that much changing get a good formula that was just as effective as the original.

Materials:





Just like I did with floor cleaner, I just mixed all the ingredients up, again not being too careful with the soap, just not going overboard. BUT, I did make sure to be as accurate as possible with the essential oils for two reasons. First, they are expensive and I use them a lot so I didn't want to go  overboard and waste money, and second, they are very strong smelling so I didn't want to end up with the same problem I had with the rubbing alcohol.  10-15 drops seemed to be perfect, it covered up the alcohol smell but wasn't too overpowering. After making the solution I then set out to clean the various surfaces in my home.  But, of course, since I am horrible at taking pictures I only took pictures of my fridge.  It was just as effective as the original formula as getting all of the smudges, grime, and finger prints off of the stainless steal.  It was also amazingly good at removing all of the grime from my bathroom and kitchen surfaces, and as a bonus it leave such a nice smell around my house!


 Here is a close up so you can really see the difference.

I am really happy with the results this solution has given me on all of the surfaces I've tried today. Since trying this solution out on my appliances I have replaced it with my store bought all purpose cleaner and it does an amazing job. It even ate through the grime that built up around the base of the toilet (I live in an older home that hadn't been seriously deep cleaned for a while before we moved int) so I was very impressed.  The best part is that by making my own cleaner I save money, and I know exactly what is in my cleaning products.  If you are interested in how I keep up with all of my household chores while raising a pre-schooler with another on the way, check out the post on my cleaning schedule.


No comments:

Post a Comment