Monday, June 16, 2014

DIY Cosmetic Holder



I don't know about all of you guys, but I can become incredibly OCD about my organization. I mean, even my craft closet is controlled chaos! But the one thing I have not been able to get under control is my half of the bathroom vanity. Granted, compared to my husband's side it looks awesome, but it still stresses me out every time I go in there. I have all of my facial products lining my sink counter...and don't even get me started on my make-up drawer! While I won't be able to really do anything about my make-up drawer until we remodel the bathroom (hopefully soon), I was able to get my facial products under control with a quick trip to the dollar store! This project was so quick and easy that I decided to do a tutorial so that I could hopefully help de-stress any of my fellow OCD'ers.

Materials


1) Two glass candle sticks; one large and one small

2) Three glass platters

3) Hot glue


5) Glitter (any color desired)

6) Krylon clear top coat spray

Step 1:  Cover your candle stick with Mod Podge. Make sure to put a very generous coating on, you want every inch of the candle stick covered.


Step 2: Cover the Mod Podge with glitter. You want to make sure that there is no Mod Podge showing, because if there is then there will be spaces without glitter showing through. Let the candle sticks sit for 30 minutes to an hour to dry.  I suggest placing the candle sticks on top of a scrap piece of paper. That way you have something to catch the excess glitter and will be able to put it back into your container...no waste!
You can see how the scrap paper was a great catch all for the extra glitter.
*Note* If you don't want to do the glitter you can also choose to use acrylic paint to cover the candle sticks. You can either use paint and a paintbrush or spray paint, but make sure the candle sticks are covered.  You can also paint or glitter the platters as well. If you don't want to put anything on your candle sticks/platters skip to step 4.

Step 3: Once the candle sticks are dry you need to take them outside for the next step. Here you will cover the candle sticks with a thick coat of the Krylon clear coat.  This will help to "set" the glitter and keep them from flaking off.  After all glitter is the herpes of the craft supply world and we need to keep it under control! Let the Krylon dry for about 10 minutes.

The candle sticks will had a matte appearance after the Krylon, that's okay.

Step 4: Now you will start gluing.  First you will hot glue the bottom of the large candle stick to the top of one of the platters, try to make sure the candle stick is in the center!

Step 5: Next you will put a thick layer of hot glue on the top rim of the large candle stick, and then you will place the bottom of the second platter on top of it. Once again try to make sure you are in the center of the platter and that both platters match up.

 
You can see the first platter attached to the bottom of the candle stick here

Step 6: Repeat steps 4 and 5 with the small candle stick and the remaining platters.  You should end up with a total of three tiers to the tower.


This is what the finished product should look like!

When I was putting all my cosmetic products on my new tower I realized that these would be really great for parties! They are so quick and simple to make and very cheap (parts cost $5 each from the dollar store) that they would be so convenient to make as display pieces for parties! They can be centerpieces, hold good bags or thank you gifts, or they can also hold cupcakes, cookies, or any other dessert really! I love it when projects can be used for multiple purposes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment