Monday, July 28, 2014
50 Practical Uses For Coconut Oil
I don't know about you guys, but I never realized how many uses there are for coconut oil! Sure, I knew that it was a great natural way to get rid of diaper rash, but after that I was clueless. However, while searching for natural safe remedies and products I found there TONS of practical uses for coconut oil. I've seen dozens of info graphics, and read countless articles about all of the uses for this magical substance, and that's truly what it is. So, I decided to compile all of the information I have found into a nice easy list of uses for all of you. Let me know if there are any uses I missed!
*NOTE:* I am NOT a doctor or medical practitioner in any way. Do NOT stop a current medicinal regiment without first discussing it with your health care provider. When starting a holistic remedy you should discuss it with your practitioner as well, even if you are not stopping any medications, just because something is natural does not mean it can not interact with modern medicine or have a negative effect on some people--remember cocaine and ephedrine are both naturally occurring but have negative effects on the human body. So discuss everything with your health care provider first!
Uses for Coconut Oil
1.) Reduces Frizz: put in hair and watch the frizz go away! Added bonus, it will also soften, shines, and repairs your hair!
2) Put on your skin to reduce wrinkles, exfoliate skin, moisturize, and give a more youthful appearance.
3) Diaper rash cream: Natural remedy for diaper rashes. Note: NOT cloth diaper friendly, you will need a barrier (like a fleece liner) between your baby and the diaper when using this.
4) Reduce earache pain: mix garlic, olive oil, and coconut oil together and put a couple drops in your ear to reduce earache pain.
5) Moisturize & Protect: coconut oil has double power in that it can act as a shaving cream and after shave moisturizer.
6) Bug repellent: Mix coconut oil, catnip, rosemary, and mint essential oil for an all natural DIY bug spray.
7) Cradle cap: put coconut oil on baby's head alone, or mix with Shea butter, calundula and chamomile for a creamy blend. (this mixture can also act as a diaper rash cream).
8) Body Scrub: Mix coconut oil with brown sugar and get a homemade body scrub!
9) Toothpaste: Mix coconut oil with baking soda for a great homemade toothpaste.
10) Gum residue: Use coconut oil to get rid of gum residue-very helpful with getting stuck on gum out of clothes.
11) Condition wood: Just rub some coconut oil onto wood, let it sit and then rub off with a clean cloth and you will have freshly conditioned wood!
12) Un-stick a zipper: add a couple drops of coconut oil onto a stuck zipper and watch it come undone!
13) Prevent hairballs: Add coconut oil to your cats food and it will help prevent the occurrence of hairballs.
14) Condition fur: While giving Fido a bath, add some coconut oil into your wash routine and wash his fur glow.
15) Increase milk supply: For nursing mothers, taking at least 3 1/2 tablespoons of coconut oil a day may help increase your milk supply.
16) Morning sickness: Extra virgin coconut oil has been shown to help relieve morning sickness in pregnant women.
17) Stretch marks: Rubbing coconut oil on a pregnant belly may help prevent/reduce stretch marks. You can also rub coconut oil on cracked nipples during breastfeeding.
18) Constipation: Coconut oil is a light laxative.
19) Vapor rub: mix coconut oil with essential oils for a homemade vapor rub to reduce congestion.
20) Teething: Rub coconut oil onto the gums of teething babies as a natural pain reliever.
21) Thyroid function: Coconut oil naturally helps optimize thyroid function.
22) Coffee/tea creamer: Add to coffee or tea for a natural creamer.
23) Reduce joint pain: Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory properties so it can help decrease joint pain.
24) If ingested daily, coconut oil can help with allergies, digestion, and eczema.
25) Cold sores: add onto lips (as lip balm) and coconut oil will help heal cold sores.
26) Cuticles: Is a natural cuticle moisturizer and healer.
27) Sunscreen: Coconut oil naturally acts as an SPF 4 sunscreen
28) Add flavor to GF bread: When used as a spread, coconut oil will act as a moisturizer and flavor for gluten free bread.
29) Hormone production: When taken naturally, coconut oil can boost hormone production.
30) Hemorrhoid relief: Put on hemorrhoids topically to reduce pain.
31) Sunburn reliever: Coconut oil acts as a natural sunburn reliever, just put on the burn.
32) Chicken pox & poison ivy relief: Rub on affected area and coconut oil will relieve the itch associated with both chicken pox and poison ivy.
33) Mosquito bites: Coconut oil will also reduce the itch associated with mosquito bites.
34) Lip exfoliate: Mixed with sea salt, coconut oil rubbed on lips acts as a natural lip scrub.
35) Treatment of athlete's foot/foot fungus: Rub coconut oil on your feet daily until the fungus is gone.
36) Reduce cellulite: When rubbed on problem areas consistently, coconut oil can help reduce the appearance of cellulite.
37) UTI's: Can be used externally and internally to speed up the recovery from UTI's. (talk to your health care provider before implementing).
38) Baby lotion: rub on baby's skin as a natural baby lotion.
39) Yeast overgrowth: When ingested regularly, coconut oil can help reduce your chances of developing a yeast overgrowth.
40) Heartburn & Indigestion: Mix coconut oil with warm ginger tea to reduce heartburn and indigestion (great for pregnant ladies).
41) Avoid dry skin: Rub on your hands after doing the dishes to prevent dry skin.
42) Varicose veins: Rub on effective areas to help reduce the appearance of varicose veins.
43) Hair growth: Rub coconut oil into your scalp to help stimulate hair growth.
44) Age spots: Rub directly onto the effective areas to help reduce the appearance of age spots.
45) Massage oil
46) Facial moisturizer: Rub on your face before bed for an intensive night-time facial moisturizer.
47) Seasoning: When used in conjunction with a cast iron skillet, Coconut oil does a great job of adding seasoning.
48) Leather shoes: Coconut oil is great at moisturizing and conditioning leather shoes.
49) Furniture polish: Does a great job polishing wooden furniture.
50) Pet allergies: Use coconut oil sparingly on pets with skin allergies to reduce irritation.