Tuesday, December 1, 2015

DIY Santa Letter

So our first advent calendar activity is to write a letter to Santa! Of course I could have just done a regular letter, but since Christmas only comes once a year I wanted to do something a little more special. I honestly didn't think about it so I didn't take a bunch of pictures (only one) when I was doing it, but its so easy you really don't need them. This is what you're going to make:


What you'll need:
  • Red 8X10 paper
  • White 11X8.5 paper
  • Christmas stamps
  • Letter stamps I used these
  • Acrylic block
  • black ink pad
  • white ink pad
  • Modgepodge
  • silver glitter (Optional)
What to do:

Okay, so this is really, REALLY easy. I first used Modgepodge to glue the white paper to the red paper, making sure that the sides were even. I used Modgepodge because I can apply it with a paint brush and it will dry smooth so it won't interfere with Isabella's writing.  I then used my letter stamps and my acrylic block to stamp the words for the letter in clack ink. Once that was done I used the black ink and my Christmas stamps to put some cute Christmas trees and a silhouette of Santa on the letter to make it extra festive.

The Christmas stamp set that I have also came with a bunch of cute little snowflake stamps so I decided to make it snow on our letter! I arranged the snowflakes on the acrylic block so that they would fit onto the paper but still look random. I used the white ink pad on the snowflakes and just stamped them all the way down the sides of the letter.  Make sure you re-ink each time so you make sure that the snowflakes stay visible. I waited a couple minutes to make sure that all the ink had dried and then moved onto the back.

Unfortunately I forgot to get a picture of the back but basically what I did was coat the entire 8X10 paper liberally with Modgepodge and then applied a very liberal amount of silver glitter. Like seriously, a VERY liberal amount. Make sure you have a large paper under the letter to catch all the excess because glitter is the herpes of craft supplies and will get everywhere! I didn't shake the glitter off immediately, instead I let it sit on the Modgepodge for about half an hour. By doing this I made sure that the glitter was totally secure and didn't end up with a bunch of "bald spots" on my paper that needed to be redone. 

So that's it! Super easy and Isabella really liked all the glitter and festive stamps. And of course that made all the extra work well worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment